auto icon donker fabriek icon donker medisch icon donker vliegtuig icon donker boot icon donker chip icon donker

Molybdenum

Molybdenum is a hard and shiny silver metal. The name molybdenum comes from the Greek Molybos for lead, due to the frequent confusion of molybdenite concentrate (Mo-disulphide) with galena or graphite. The extraction molybdenum usually comes from molybdenite concentrate (molybdenum disulphide). The most molybdenum ores are located in countries such as the US, Chile, China and Canada. About 80% of the molybdenum production is used as additives for steel and cast iron. The other 20% of molybdenum is used for chemicals and molybdenum metals and it’s alloys.

 

Important features molybdenum:

  • high melting point up to 2623 °C, low vapor pressure
  • good resistance and mechanical stability at high temperatures
  • thermal shock resistant
  • good strength and mechanical stability for high temperature applications
  • very good chemical resistance

 

Applications of molybdenum:

  • high temperature heating
  • rocket motors
  • welding electrodes
  • equipment for glass production
  • missile technology
  • smooth coatings

 

Common alloys of molybdenum:

Titanium-Zirconium-Molybdenum (TZM)

TZM is metal alloy whose main elements titanium-zirconium carbide and molybdenum. This composite alloy has compared with pure molybdenum better heat resistance at temperatures up to 1400 °C.

 

Specific applications of Titanium-Zirconium-Molybdenum (TZM)
components for heat treatment systems, charging systems, heat pipes sockets, casting, forging etc.

 

Molybdenum-Lanthanum (ML, MoLa, MLR):

By enriching molybdenum with lanthanum oxide and a perfectly matched production process occurs in molybdenum-lanthanum a straight connection with finely lanthanum-oxide (mostly 0.6% lanthanum oxide is used). The alloy molybdenum-lanthanum has a higher recrystallization temperature and good creep resistance. Dependable to the shape of the semi-finished product molybdenum-lanthanum components can be used up to 2000 °C.

 

Specific applications of Molybdenum-Lanthanum:

heat conductor wire and strip for the lighting technology, sintered filters, furnace components, etc.

 

ASTM standards of molybdenum:
ASTM B387 (Mo and Mo alloys - rods, wires)
ASTM B386 (Mo and Mo alloys - Plate, sheet, strip)
ASTM F289 (Mon-wires for electronic applications)
ASTM F364 (Mon-flat wires for electronic tubes)

 

Range of products molybdenum:

Foils, strips, ribbons, sheets, plates, wires, rods, tubes, mesh, sputtering targets, electrodes, contacts, filaments, standard fasteners (screws, nuts, washers and others), crucibles, hot-zone-components, heating elements, sintering trays, supports, carriers, heat shielding, electrodes, protective tubes for thermocouples, miscellaneous customer-specific components according to drawing

 

Molybdenum alloy Ranking
Mo 99.95 %
Mo 99.95 %
Mo 99.96 %
TZM (Titanium Zirconium Molybdenum)
TZM (Titanium Zirconium Molybdenum)
MoW30 (Molybdenum Tungsten
ML (Molybdenum Lanthanum)
MoRe 47.5
MoRe 44.5
MoRe 41
type 360
type 361
type 365
Type 363 Ti, Zr, C
Type 364 Ti, Zr, C (powder form)
Type 366